Buying homeschooling supplies can get costly. Just take a trip to your local teacher supply store and you’ll learn that basic supplies can be a bit over priced. You can find saving on many of these items from your local Dollar Store. By Dollar Store, I’m referring to stores where items cost 1 dollar or less. Here are the items worth purchasing at the Dollar Store and some to avoid.
Supplies worth purchasing from the Dollar Store.
- Reading and Math workbooks for many grades. – These workbooks are not very thick but teach well. I have seen them with Disney characters too!
- Stickers – Please don’t buy stickers any other place. They have so many to choose from and they are quality stickers. The kids really enjoy picking out their stickers.
- Large wall maps – I bought a U.S map and it is huge and very nice
- Construction paper
- Lined Paper
- File Folders
- Poster Board
- Storage Bins – They usually have some really cute stackable ones at the beginning of the school year.
- Board Books – Great for Pre-Schoolers
- Coloring Books
- Word Search/Dot-To-Dot Books
- Math Flash Cards
- Brads – You’ll need these for lap booking
- Paper Clips
- Thumb Tacks
- Educational Posters
- Craft Supplies (craft sticks, glitter, foam pieces, paper plates, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, pom poms)
Supplies to avoid from the Dollar Store
- Glue – Only get Elmers. The dollar store glue is terrible
- Markers – Only purchase Crayola
- Crayons – Only purchase Crayola
- Scissors – Fiskars are the best
If you haven’t given the Dollar Store a chance, give it a try, you don’t have much to lose, except for a few dollars of course. I’ve saved a bundle of money over the last several years. If you know of any Dollar Store finds that I’ve missed please share in the comments below.